Saturday, September 25, 2004

 

Ghost Light and Survivor

I watched this Doctor Who story yesterday. It's the latest DVD release and was the last story before it was cancelled. I thought it had a lot of potential if only it hadn't been so short. It was a darker storyline and I think could have been the beginning of some very good ones had it not been cancelled. I might just be biased though as I really like Sylvester McCoy even though a lot of people don't. I liked his style of playing the Doctor and I like Ace as his companion.

While I was watching it I finished stitching those Halloween cards. I got the day glow thread yesterday and it really does glow in the dark. Yes, I was sad enough to test it out! Next week I will get some nice brightly colour cards to attach the stitching to. Somehow I don't think that the pink ones I bought for the charity stitch would be a good choice for them. Next I am going to do some Christmas cards.

After watching the DVD I finished reading "Survivor" by Chuck Palahniuk. A friend recommended this one to me. Most of the way through it I couldn't decide whether or not I liked it. It was a good book and I found that the more I read on the more difficult it was to put down. I still don't think it is one of my favourites but I would consider reading more by this author. I think what partly put me off was that I didn't like the film "Fight Club" based on his movie of the same name. I must be the only person in the world who didn't like it. I did get the ending and from that I can see why everyone does like it but the rest of the film just didn't appeal to me in the slightest.

Again I haven't done any writing or studying this week. I have nothing planned for my days off this week so I will be doing some then. Last Sunday I was still jet lagged and then on Monday I was visiting my best friend. I have lots of ideas so hopefully I will get the chance to work on them.

Comments:
I like Sylvester McCoy's portrayal too and I think he got better with each season. Ditching the light jacket for the brown one probably helped his portrayal become darker. I was at University with one of the actresses who played one of the maids in Ghost Light. She played flute in some of my compositions!

In terms of number of episodes, all three of McCoy's seasons only equal one Hartnell season so it's worth considering the high strike rate of good Seventh Doctor stories... Remembrance of the Daleks, The Greatest Show in the Galaxy, Ghost Light and The Curse of Fenric are all classics in my view. Some of the others come pretty close too like Survival, the last ever story to be transmitted though Ghost Light was made last. Delta and the Bannermen is great fun and I've a soft spot for Paradise Towers. People missed a lot of good television by not watching Doctor Who in the late Eighties!

I read in your blog you're writing a Doctor Who. I had a go at novelising Revelation of the Daleks, one of a handful of TV stories that never saw the light of day in book form. It's been collecting dust for some time now as I couldn't get it published for copyright reasons (Terry Nation's estate and Eric Saward being the original author)! I did try Virgin at the time, when they were still releasing them, but I loved the story and it was fun building up the psychological aspects and not having to worry about the plot!!!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?