Wednesday, September 15, 2004

 

Shadowmancer, The Divide and Absolution Gap

Over the last few days I finished off Shadowmancer by GP Taylor and Absolution Gap by Alastair Reynold. I did not enjoy Shadowmancer at all. I found it very preachy and dull. As someone mentioned to me, the ideas themselves were good and had promise but too much importance was placed on religion. I guess it is to be expected from an ex Reverend but he said that his books wouldn't be like that. He tries to be quirky by saying in the blurb that he lives in a graveyard but it just doesn't work. I've heard that Wormwood by the same author is good but Shadowmancer has put me off reading it.

I finally finished Absolution Gap this morning and I loved it. In the beginning it was a little confusing because there were two timelines. One involved the characters we knew from the previous books and the other involving different characters. I couldn't see how these two timelines were at all linked. It became obvious near the end though and I thought it was well done. I was a little disappointed with the ending though. It just didn't feel as though the enough time was spent on it. It felt as though it linked the two together and then it was a little rushed. I would still highly recommend it however. It is a great trilogy for most sci fi fans.

Over my holiday I read another children's book called The Divide by Elizabeth Kay. This was a great book and a quick read. I think that any kid who likes the Harry Potter books will like this simply because it has magic and lots of mythical creatures. I would also recommend it to others as it is both moving and funny.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?