Monday, October 04, 2004

 

Banned Books

It was banned books week in the US a few weeks ago. Here is a list of the 100 most challenged books in 1990 - 2000. I have read about 20 of them. These aren't the only books that have been banned or considered for banning. Enid Blytons books were considered racist and sexist and so were almost banned (and I think actually were in a few libraries here in Britain). I know that some of the books on that list people wanted banned because they were considered to be evil. The Harry Potter books is an example of this. People believed that they were evil because it deals with witchcraft. I remember when news of the films being made and who was playing Harry came out that the poor boy was harassed by people who told him he would be cursed.

Anyway, I don't believe in banning books. People should have the freedom to chose what they read without anyone deciding for them. I don't think everyone who reads a particular book are all of a sudden going to turn into devil worshippers or hardened criminals. Some of those books on the list are favourite kids books. I loved Roald Dahl when I was a kid and lots of children love his books still today. Judy Blume was another favourite when I was growing up and the Aldous Huxley book I actually wrote about for a school paper.

I would be interested to see a British list, I'm sure that there will be some books on that too which will be surprising.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?