Tuesday, October 05, 2004

 

Eleanor Rigby

I finally got to read the new Douglas Coupland book. Truth is I started it yesterday and again stayed up until 2am to finish it. This time because it was so good.

This one is about Liz Dunn who suffers from loneliness. She lives on her own and has no friends. About seven years before she tells her story her son comes into her life and for a brief period that loneliness disappears only to come back even stronger.

To be honest I have trouble describing Coupland books. Whenever I try to describe them they come across as dull and boring but they are far from that. This one is a sweet and sad story with a touch of humour. I think that a lot of his books are a little depressing but they always seem to have their lighter moments and end on some sort of high note. This one is the same as the others in that respect. He writes about ordinary people under extraordinary circumstances. A year ago today I had never heard of him and now I can't get enough of his work. I just wish I had more than one of his books left to read.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?