Sunday, November 07, 2004

 

Just reading

So what have I been up to then? Considering I don't really have the energy for anything else I have just been reading. I finished reading "Dragon's Kin" by Anne and Todd McCaffrey. It was an easy read and certainly not anywhere as good as the first few in the series but I did enjoy it. I wasn't sure quite where it fit in the timeline though. I don't know if maybe that was me just being tired. The next book is called "Dragons blood" and will be written by just Todd McCaffrey. It won't be out until next year. I probably will read it since I am a sucker for Pern stories but again I will wait for the paperback.

I am now reading another Dragon story and this one is a children's book called "Dragon Rider" by Cornelia Funke. The sad truth is that I originally bought it for the pop out map in the middle. I like it but it is a very simple storyline. I think now when I read a lot of children's story books (particularly the fantasy ones) I compare them to the Sabriel and Lirael books by Garth Nix. They all seem so simple compared to those ones and certainly not as good. I think if the Pullman books belonged to this age group too I would probably also compare them to them and it would be difficult to surpass them.

Still also reading the Gunslinger by Stephen King which is slow work since I am only reading it at home. I didn't like this book the first time I read it. This time though I am enjoying it. It is no where near as good as the later ones but it's definitely not as bad as I remembered it to be. It is difficult to know if this is because of revisions made to this edition or just because of age. Maybe it is a little bit of both. Or maybe it is also because I now know what comes next. After this we are going to move onto the last book "The Dark Tower". I really can't believe I have held off this long to read it. I won't be reading other books alongside this one as I want to really enjoy it since it is the last in the series.

I've been doing a lot of knitting. I took that up this week for the first time in years. A few people I know have been taking it up and it gave me the itch to go back to it myself. I'm not doing anything complicated. I got a new winter jacket and I thought I would knit a scarf to go with it. It's just a plain scarf as I don't think my tired mind could handle anything else. I should have plenty of wool left so I am going to make matching gloves.

Other than playing the Grand Theft Auto, San Andreas I really haven't been up to much else.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?