Saturday, March 26, 2005

 

Doctor Who Is Back Tonight

Yep. It is finally here. After so many months of waiting and years of wandering whether it would happen tonight brings the first episode to the new series. I have probably said this already but despite my reservations about Billie (She is even annoying in the ad) I am very much looking forward to it. I am going to watch it with an open mind and try not compare it to the new series too much.

In celebrations of this I am going to go through each Doctor and write which episodes were my favourites. I can't claim full credit for this as I got the idea from TimeWarden who has already done this.

The first Doctor. I have to say that my favourite story is "The Dalek Invasion of Earth" with "The Aztecs" coming a close second. I am more likely to chose a Dalek story just because they scared me so much. I have a soft spot for the Daleks and was pleased that they will be making a return in the new series. It's as I have grown older that I began to appreciate the first Doctor. When I was younger I wasn't really a fan and would never have enjoyed the Aztecs.

The second Doctor I tool to straight away probably because he looked like such a comical figure. My favourite story has to be "War Games" which I would love to see out on DVD. I'm not sure what it is about that one that I like. It just felt a little different to all the rest and I think it was the first one that the Doctor goes back to his home planet. I was also a huge fan of Jamie and Zoe as his sidekicks.

To be honest I'm still not that big a fan of the third Doctor. I don't dislike him but I prefer the others. My favourite story is "The Curse of Peladon". I don't know why except that I took to it when I was little. I guess it might have been because for once the Ice Warriors were on the side of good. What is more surprising is that Jo Grant was also one of my least favourite assistants.

The fourth Doctor is my favourite out of them all. I loved the humour and some of my favourite scenes are with him and Harry. I always thought it was a shame that Harry wasn't there for more stories. They could have used that banter between the Doctor and Harry. My favourite story is "The genesis of the Daleks". It has Harry and the Daleks, what more could you ask for. Actually, "The Robots of Death" comes along side this one as a favourite. I always remember my sister and I pretending we were the Robots.

The fifth Doctor I liked too. The fact that he was younger than the rest and he did have his comedy moments. "Earthshock" is my favourite simply because we lose the assistant Adric. One of the most irritating people on television.

Not a huge fan of the sixth Doctor. I don't really have a favourite episode. If I had to chose then probably "Vengeance on Varos".

I loved the seventh Doctor and I think it is a shame that not many people appreciate him. I know a lot of people who think that those last few seasons weren't so good because of him. However, I think he did a good job with the material he was given and I think it was a shame that he wasn't used to his full potential. My favourite story here is "Remembrance of the Daleks". I know that a lot of people argue that most of that one contradicts the Dalek history. However, this had the episode that saw the Daleks climbing up stairs. When I was little and scared of them the stairs was the one thing that made me feel better and all of a sudden they could climb them.

That's it then. To be honest this changes all the time depending what mood I am in. But for now those are my favourites.

Comments:
Interesting choices. You like "The Curse of Peladon" for the reason I don't like it so much in that the Ice Warriors being on the side of good feels like a betrayal of their original conception. I never much cared for the introduction of the Ice Lord in "The Seeds of Death", which otherwise is a good story, but hierarchy in alien races has always been prominent in "Doctor Who"!

I don't know if you know this, and you might be interested if you don't, seeing as you like both Harry Sullivan and Disney, but Harry actor Ian Marter wrote the novelisation of Disney film "Splash" under his two Christian names Ian Don.

I wonder if the people that criticise "Remembrance" for contradicting Dalek history acknowledge that "Genesis" does too!

It was nice of you to acknowledge me in your blog and I'm curious to know, if you could choose only one from your list which would it be?
 
Interesting choices. You like "The Curse of Peladon" for the reason I don't like it so much in that the Ice Warriors being on the side of good feels like a betrayal of their original conception. I never much cared for the introduction of the Ice Lord in "The Seeds of Death", which otherwise is a good story, but hierarchy in alien races has always been prominent in "Doctor Who"!

I don't know if you know this, and you might be interested if you don't, seeing as you like both Harry Sullivan and Disney, but Harry actor Ian Marter wrote the novelisation of Disney film "Splash" under his two Christian names Ian Don.

I wonder if the people that criticise "Remembrance" for contradicting Dalek history acknowledge that "Genesis" does too!

It was nice of you to acknowledge me in your blog and I'm curious to know, if you could choose only one from your list which would it be?
 
Interesting choices. You like "The Curse of Peladon" for the reason I don't like it so much in that the Ice Warriors being on the side of good feels like a betrayal of their original conception. I never much cared for the introduction of the Ice Lord in "The Seeds of Death", which otherwise is a good story, but hierarchy in alien races has always been prominent in "Doctor Who"!

I don't know if you know this, and you might be interested if you don't, seeing as you like both Harry Sullivan and Disney, but Harry actor Ian Marter wrote the novelisation of Disney film "Splash" under his two Christian names Ian Don.

I wonder if the people that criticise "Remembrance" for contradicting Dalek history acknowledge that "Genesis" does too!

It was nice of you to acknowledge me in your blog and I'm curious to know, if you could choose only one from your list which would it be?
 
Interesting choices. You like "The Curse of Peladon" for the reason I don't like it so much in that the Ice Warriors being on the side of good feels like a betrayal of their original conception. I never much cared for the introduction of the Ice Lord in "The Seeds of Death", which otherwise is a good story, but hierarchy in alien races has always been prominent in "Doctor Who"!

I don't know if you know this, and you might be interested if you don't, seeing as you like both Harry Sullivan and Disney, but Harry actor Ian Marter wrote the novelisation of Disney film "Splash" under his two Christian names Ian Don.

I wonder if the people that criticise "Remembrance" for contradicting Dalek history acknowledge that "Genesis" does too!

It was nice of you to acknowledge me in your blog and I'm curious to know, if you could choose only one from your list which would it be?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?