Wednesday, June 29, 2005

 

The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan


I know, I haven't done a book review in ages including the ones I promised a while back. And I'm not going to do one now as I haven't finished the book yet. But I did have to mention it. I made a start on it last night (despite being in the middle of two others). I got 70 pages into the book and only gave up because I could barely keep my eyes open. The truth is I only intended to have a peak and the next thing I know I am forty pages on and I thought I might as well just keep going.

I read an excerpt from Amy Tan's "The Joy Luck Club" a while back (although at the time I didn't know that was where it was from. I enjoyed this small snippet so much that I had to find out where it was from and the book to my wish list (just one of many I must admit).

So far the book is about four Chinese women who moved to America and brought up American Chinese daughters. At the moment they are each telling their stories of their lives in China before they moved to San Francisco. Eventually it will go onto the daughters stories. While reading it you can picture these little old women telling their stories and it is hard to imagine that the young women they are describing are the same. I think the daughters have the same problem which is why they have difficulty relating to their mothers. It's a brilliant read so far and I doubt I will pick up the other books I am reading until I finish it.

Comments:
Hi Karen, Welcome to the SAL! It really doesn't matter when you start or when you need breaks, it is just fun for all of us to be stitching the same piece, sharing WIP photos and chatting about it - no problem at all starting right away!! yay!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?