Thursday, July 14, 2005
I finally got my wool through from America which I ordered a few months ago. The company itself was very helpful. They had ran out and were waiting for it to arrive from their suppliers. So I don't blame them for it being so late. Anyway, as you can see I have made a start on it. The base is done and most of the front panel is done too. I love this wool. It just feels so soft. It's almost a shame that I am going to have to felt it. I would leave it be if it wasn't for the fact that it won't be strong enough without being felted. And that it is for my friend who requested that bag. I also learned to do two new things from this (and thanks to my mum who showed me because I couldn't see what the instructions meant). For the base I had to do a horizontal Herringbone stitch. This involves knitting your first stitch. Slipping the next stitch on to your other needle. Knitting the next stitch and then pulling the slipped stitch over it and then knitting it. I had to start all over again a few times with that one as I kept losing a stitch somewhere. Once I got into a rhythm though I had no problems. Then next new thing I learned was picking up stitches from the side of the base. This is a little hard to explain without any pictures but I managed it. After that it just involved the stocking stitch and the most difficult part was changing colours (which I remember from when I used to knit when I was little). The back panel will be the same so I don't think it will be long before I get it all knitted up.
I started the bookmark for the round robin. I don't have a picture of it yet though. I decided to use a popcorn bookmark kit I had there. I am going to add a border though using this persons favourite colours. Just to make it a bit more personal. I will get back to Blossom fairy as soon as the bookmark is finished.