Sunday, August 14, 2005

 

Fantasy

You can see from my links at the side that I now belong to a stitching ring. I was randomly browsing through other sites on the ring when I cam across one called Booking Through Thursday. This is a site that gives meme's based on (funnily enough) books. The latest questions are about fantasy books and although I am not a member of this group I couldn't help but answer it.

1. Do you like to read fantasy?

Yes, although I go through phases of it. I can go through months without reading any and then read nothing but fantasy.

2. What is your favourite (or least favourite if you don't like the genre) thing about reading fantasy?

Most fantasy stories are light reads and it is easy to become caught up in the storyline. I love the fact that in fantasy just about anything goes and that it is an escape from the real world.

3. Do you prefer regular people placed in alternate realities, like the Thomas Covenant stories and the Amber books, or do you prefer the whole world to come from the author's imagination? Or something else?

To be honest I have only ever read books based on the second so I don't have a basis for comparison. I have always meant to read the Thomas Covenant books though. My boyfriend introduced me to fantasy and he hated them which is one of the reasons I have put it off for so long.


4. Do you have a favorite author or theme that you go back to again and again?

I read quite a lot of Anne McCaffrey and would probably have continued to read all of her books if I had left her Acorna series until last. I really didn't like them and it has put me off any others. I will read her son's new pern books but that's about it. Which is a shame because I really enjoyed her Pern and Crystal Singer series as well as some of her short stories. Maybe one day I will pick up her other books. I also like dragons (which was why I started reading McCaffrey). I have a whole list of books I want to read just because they involve dragons. I also seem to go for books where women are the central character e.g Tamora Pierce and Mercedes Lackey. This wasn't an intentional theme.


To be honest I have only been reading fantasy a few years. There are still a lot of books out there that are considered to be classics within the genre that I still haven't gotten round to reading. I think my problem is that there are too many other books that I want to read too. I doubt I will ever become an expert in just one genre or book type. I flit around subjects too much even if I do come back to them all eventually.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?