Thursday, September 29, 2005

 

CW and More Reviews

I know I said I would work on something else over the next few days but I couldn't help myself. Every time I looked at her it was as though she was crying out to me "I want hair" and so I had to do it. I think that I should just resign myself to the fact that I don't have the discipline to do rotations. Doing little things in between I don't mind so much. But when it comes to larger projects and there is one you prefer over all the rest it is hard to resist. And lately I haven't been able to do any resisting. I'm sorry if it means I am plowing on ahead of everyone else but I can't help it. I have decided that I am definitely going to do the bead work in her hair and neck before I go on to the swirls. Those gaps in her neck are annoying me. It looks like her head might fall off. I'll do the rest of the bead last. I have a feeling that I did it this way for Celtic Christmas too. Now that she has some colour I don't really mind the whites and grays anymore. I'm now really looking forward to finishing her dress.


I treated myself to a few craft magazines the other day. One of the ones I bought was the third issue of the Disney crafts magazine. I really enjoyed the last two issues. I really don't like Winnie the Pooh and friends but there seemed to be a balance with other Disney characters. In this issue the balance is gone and it is definitely dominated by Pooh and co. There is a dalmation advent calendar, Cinderella paper crafts and two more dwarves. The rest is Pooh. It's actually almost off putting. I still see myself buying the next issue but if it keeps going this way I will eventually stop.


"Revelation of the Daleks" has been out for a while now but I just got round to buying it yesterday. I have been slow in buying the Doctor Who DVD's although I want to collect them. I think it is partly because my parents own most of them on tape and I have watched those over and over again. So while I want to collect them all there isn't really a huge rush. With this one though it is also partly because it isn't one of my favourites. A bit of a surprise considering I love most stories involving the Daleks. The truth is I find most of the characters irritating and I'm not a huge fan of Colin Baker. My sister who isn't a Doctor Who fan loved this one and watched it over and over again. It appealed to her sense of humour. She loved the DJ and Joebell (Sp?) both of whom grated on my nerves. I think if it wasn't for that I would have liked it but sadly it's one I will rarely watch again.





I just finished reading "Across the Nightingale Floor" by Lian Hearn which is book one in the Otori trilogy. A young boy comes back from wondering the mountains to find his entire village has been slaughtered. He is saved by Lord Otori who adopts him as his son and has him trained to kill Lord Iilad. The man who was responsible for the village massacre and countless other deaths. Many things conspire to get in his way including falling in love. However, Takeo is determined that Iilad will pay for what he did to his family.

There is so much more to the story than that but I really don't want to spoil it. It is based on Japanese culture and is set during the feudal system. A beautifully written book and one I found difficult to put down. It changes from first person to third person throughout the book, which strangely didn't bother me at all. There is a little magic involved but not much and not the spell casting kind either. I recommend it for just about anyone who wants to try something a little bit different.

Comments:
Oh yes, hair is very important :-) She looks fantastic! Don't worry about how fast you are stitching - you are motivating me to get her going too :-)
 
Wow Karen you have been busy, but your right about the hari hun. I finished the hair on CA last night and just have the bit running through her hair left to do. I could not resist either althought today was a bad day for me I have not touched any stitching and I must force myself to get a robin finished for tomorrow, and then whilst Hubby is asleep I may work on her some more lol.

Hugs xxxxx
 
She is certainly feeling better with her hair... She looks gorgeous, just the kind of project I dream of making, but I find it a bit scary at the same time. I'm impressed!

I bought the same Disney mag when I went to Canterbury last month, and I was so disappointed that it ended in my daughter's stuff for her to cut whatever she wants to... Besides, you have to find WTP threads, which looks impossible around here. And I would like to use my DMC threads too...
 
Nice to hear from you. Sorry to hear about your cold and glad you're feeling better now.

Everything is fine here apart from this computer! It went wrong and I no longer seem able to add pictures to my blog. They upload ok but when I click "Done" they don't appear, as before, with the text. What I'd written referred to the photo. I think Windows needs reinstalling which means losing a lot of stuff so haven't really decided what the best way forward is yet.

Anyway, I read your reviews of "Tripods", season one, and "Revelation" with interest. Half the second series is set inside the Tripod's city and the effects are very impressive. When I heard the BBC weren't going to finish the trilogy I read the final book first to discover how it concluded! I must admit to being puzzled by your dislike of this Dalek story. But then again, a lot of people love "Earthshock" yet I find it hard to get past my dislike of Beryl Reid's character in that one.

I know what you mean about buying the DVDs. I'm very reluctant to buy again anything I've already bought, or taped off-air, feeling the money would be better spent on something I don't have. Being a fan of TV series is an expensive business compared to that of film fans who can buy "Spiderman 2", for example, with state-of-the-art SFX, for under £7 in a supermarket while the first season of "Space:1999", because of the number of episodes, will cost £80!

On a sad note, did you hear children's author Helen Cresswell died at her home in Nottinghamshire of cancer aged 71. Ironically, perhaps, just before the end of a rerun on BBC2, weekday mornings, of "Demon Headmaster", which she adapted. I think they should've put up a caption at the end of the last episode, in tribute to her, as they did for Jon Pertwee after the Paul McGann movie. I think I recognised her in a little cameo in the last episode! I loved her "Moondial" novel and TV serial.

And, on a happier note, Kermit is 50! I didn't realise that he'd been in another American series before "Sesame Street" and "The Muppets". When my Dad was 50 I took him to "The Last Night of the Proms" which, as luck would have it that year, fell on the exact same day!
 
I'm very impressed with your progress on CW, she does look pretty now she's got hair. You shouldn't worry about not working in rotation, what works for some doesn't for others.
I didn't like Colin Baker as the Doctor much either, I watched avidly during Peter Davison's time but got bored with it with CB and stopped watching altogether which was strange considering how hooked I'd been. I don't dislike him as an actor, just didn't warm to him as the Doctor. It must be great having all those videos to watch over and over again!
 
where can I find that magazine I have been looking for the advent calendar of the dalmations
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?