Wednesday, September 07, 2005

 

French lessons

I have picked up my French books again. I wonder how many times I have wrote that on my blog this year? Anyway, this time it is part of my year of change. I'm doing this for me and I want to get a sense of achievement out of it. The books suggested to me were a little too far advanced for me which I think may have been part of the problem. I have studied French before but like my clarinet it's been a while and I am very rusty. It just took me longer to realise that I would have to go back to the beginning.

I picked up a Dummies guide to French not really sure what to expect of it. When I picked up my books I decided to go with that one since I want to start from scratch. I could always move on to others as I progress. I love this book. It explains things! It doesn't just give you lines and things to memorise it goes in to detail about why things are a certain way and gives rule to help remember them. Why couldn't they have done that in school? I am sure that I would have remembered something like that or even have done better if they had.

Explaining things is important to me. I have one of those minds that if there is no explanation then it is difficult for me to grasp. I was told many a time at school that I make things to difficult for myself. I couldn't just let things be a certain way because they just are. I needed to know why. I had many an argument with my chemistry teacher over this. He would eventually give up and shake his head as he walked away only to argue with me again in the next lesson. It would have been funny if it wasn't so frustrating.

This is why I am so excited over this book. My excitement may not last. I know what I am like when I decide to do something like this. My motivation maybe lasts a week or two at the most. And then one thing will come along which means I stop studying and I lose all incentive to start again. I need something like my realisation that I am actually a grown up now to force me into picking my books up again. And it's not that I'm not interested. I wouldn't have thought of doing this work if I wasn't. Anyway, I have explanations and rules now so maybe that will help keep my interest alive a little longer. And for those of you who are like me I recommend having a look at one of those Dummies guides.

Comments:
et quand tu voudras pratiquer, tu pourras lire les blogs des brodeuses qui ecrivent en francais... n'est-ce pas une bonne motivation?

and when you want to practice, you'll be able to read blogs of stitchers writing in french... isn't it a good motivation?
 
Bonjour,

tu peux écouter la radio sur internet ( http://www.europeinfos.com/ par exemple), lire les journaux (http://www.lefigaro.fr/ , http://www.liberation.fr/) ...

bon courage !
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?