Friday, September 16, 2005

 

What's your comfort book?

Someone on the BBC book discussion group asked what everyone's comfort book was and I thought that it was an interesting question. What book do you go to when you need cheering up?

I don't actually have a book that I go to whenever I am feeling down. My lows don't really last long enough for that. I like the idea though and thought that maybe it doesn't have to be when you are feeling down. I think a comfort book can be one which you know you can go back and read again without being disappointed. Or when you are needing a little reassurance. I rarely go back and read books again. There are too many new things out there that I haven't read yet. That and I don't think I will ever completely get rid of my 'to be read' pile. But I decided to chose a comfort book.

My immediate thought was to chose fantasy and then I went straight to Anne McCaffrey's Pern series. So my comfort book is "Dragonflight" by Anne McCaffrey. I have always loved dragons and this was the first series of books that I read with dragons in them. When I first began reading them I hadn't been reading fantasy for that long. I really didn't know much about it. All I knew was that I wanted to read a book about dragons where they weren't evil. I was not disapointed with this. I was fascinated as soon as I began reading and devoured it. It took me about a year and a half to read the rest (with other things in between) and I am now familiar with the whole story. These books are just pure escapism which I think makes them ideal comfort books. So despite the fact that I am reading two other books I am also going to read "Dragonflight" again. I'm not feeling blue or anything. It's just thinking about what books I would chose has got me in the mood to read it again.

If anyone else has a comfort book I would love to hear it.

Comments:
Hmmmm, I rarely read a book more than once, so no comfort book I'm afraid!
 
Would you believe that my favourite comfort books are called "karen" and "With Love from Karen" both written by Marie Kililea about her daughter Karen who was born with cerebrial palsy. Wonderful books. I laugh and I cry whenever I read them.
Cheers
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?