Tuesday, September 06, 2005

 

"Wolf Brother" by Michelle Paver

Young Torak has had to watch his father die and now he is all alone in the world. His last vow to his father was to find the Mountain of the World Spirit so that the thing that killed his father and threatens the rest of the world would be destroyed. Along the way he has to learn to survive on his own with only a wolf cub to guide him. Along the way he learns a lot of answers to things he couldn't explain. Things like why he could understand and talk back to the wolf cub, why his father warned him to stay away from men and why his father was killed.

I have read a lot of good children's books lately but this is one of the best. It is set around mans hunter gatherer period and mentions a lot of old superstitions. It deals with magic but not in a Harry Potter sense. It's exciting from page one and doesn't let up. I can see why there are talks of making a film from the book. If you are looking for something a little bit different but still like the magic theme then this is the book for you.

The second book, "Spirit Walker", is out just now but I will be waiting for the paperback. I have the first one in paperback and so I want to keep them all the same. I think most readers are like that. It's so hard to stick to though when you really want to know what happens. Not to worry, I have plenty of other things to read while I wait.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?