Saturday, November 05, 2005

 

Su Doku


Su doku is the latest craze to hit Britain. Actually it hit Britain over 3 months ago. It started off in the papers (the craze that is) and then there were the books. I tend to stay away from most crazes (Dan Brown is another example). I was a Doctor Who fan before the new series and I was a Harry Potter fan before the madness. I wanted to keep away from this one. I could think of other things I would much rather be doing. I'm not a fan of puzzles and so was determined not to be sucked in by this one.

I was doing very well until a few days ago. I was very bored and was flicking through the paper. I came accross the su doku puzzle and thought I would give it a go. I couldn't finish it as I had to leave for work. However, the memory of those few mintues spent on it was still with me. Whilst in a newsagents I spied some of the su doku magazines and picked one up. Since then I have spent all my spare time poring over them. I'm not very good and I don't time myself but I am addicted. Just a few puzzles was all it took. I want to go back to my books but su doku keep calling me.

For those of you who want to give it a try the guardian is a good place. The BBC also has an article one the craze (that's where I got my image from).

Comments:
SUDOKU! The first time I read that word was on San's blog, who turned out to be addicted too. But as I have an allegy to numbers, I didn't give it a try. Until I went to Britain at the end of August, where the craze was already there, and bought a bargain book to try, anyway. At first, I was hooked, although veeeery long to answer... Now, I'm addicted too, but not very strong... Here in France, it is just starting...
Now, please, don't let these evil games take you away from your ornaments and poor Celtic Winter for too long...

PS: I might have a computer breakdown soon, but I'll be back!
 
Talking about Sudoku craze....it's beyond craziness in Singapore major bookstores. They have from book 1 to book 4 (last time I check), how to solve books, clue books, mini book, large version...that's nut I tell you.

I read on San's page about it, I tried it..the easy level of course...to date I've not managed to solve even one...lol. I'm hopeless at arranging the numbers. I prefer playing the game called Sokoban or boxes. Boxes was introduce by my boss Mr. Ian Winfieldale...he solves all the 100 levels, I'm stucked at 43. :p
 
I noticed sudoku games in the shops when looking for something to get my son for his birthday - I resisted because we'd already spent enough on him anyway .... maybe it was just as well, he has school work to do!
Thanks for your comments - we had a lovely time in Scotland. I'm out of the habit of updating my blog but will get there soon I hope!
 
welcome to the club !!!

My favourite is the sudoku from The Puzzler. With the little animals inside. From the original japanese puzzles.
The Times books are nice, but the daily telegraph ones are too difficult from page one (and I can do some of the difficult ones in the other books).

the French (well, technically Belgian) Sport Cerebral Sudoku issue 1 (or 2) was like the easiest thing in history of sudoku. But they seemed to have become more difficult with time for some reason...

Anyway, I enjoy Sudoku mostly on the tube, where it's too bouncy to stitch ;)
 
Hi there, I found your blog via Angelsan's website and I have to say it's a really enjoyable and varied read, I have bookmarked you for later.

I just wanted to comment on your sudoku post. I'm a big fan of puzzles in general and especially logic problems, but I've also steered away from the sudoku thing because I don't like crazes, and I "do" numbers for my job so it seemed a bit of a busman's holiday. I've done a couple of them but just can't get addicted like a lot of people seem to be. Don't get me wrong I think it's brilliant that people like a challenge, but really I don't get much enjoyment in the final product of a grid full of numbers.

Anyway so I thought I would let you know about "Hanjie" puzzles (also known as "Tsunami" puzzles) which, as a fellow cross-stitcher, you might also enjoy. Basically they are large coded grids and you logically work out which squares to fill in and which to leave blank, the final result is a shaded picture. To me this is much more enjoyable as there is an end goal of working out what the picture is.

They are only available from WHSmiths which I think is why they're not that popular, but I'm happy that way as I like to know a secret. I thought I would let you in on it.... feel privileged :)

You can also get "Mosaic" puzzles in the same range (also only at WHSmiths) which are similar but different, and for me not as much fun, and much more challenging, but I still do them as a change. They're great to take on holiday - everyone asks you what you're doing!

Keep on stitchin', and happy puzzling whether you stick with sudoko or try out the pictures

Katie x
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?