Saturday, April 08, 2006

 

Booking Through Thursday


Booking Through Thursday


This week's questions were suggested by Kim.


  1. Do you have a favorite character(s)? I love characters in books. That sounds a bit stupid but the characters themselves is the one thing that can make a break a book for me. If the characters are dull and 2D then I am not likely to stay interested in it for long. I'm not sure if I have a favourite though. Here is a list of some that stick in my memory though; Elphaba, Owen Meany, Lessa, Jo Bettany (sp?)

  2. What book/author is he/she/it from? Elphaba is from "Wicked" by Gregory Maguire, Owen Meany from "A Prayer For Owen Meany" by John Irving, Lessa from the Pern series by Anne McCaffrey and Jo from the Chalet School series by Elinor M Brent-Dyer.

  3. Why do you like this person--what is it about the way he/she was written that drew you to them? Elphaba - For a start everyone knows of the wicked witch in "The Wizard of Oz". Elphaba however, was very different from that character. In "Wicked" the whole point was to read her story and to see that not everything is what they seem. Her character was strong with a great background. You felt like you really got to know this character and the image of the original was blown away. Owen Meany - like Elphaba his character had depth. In this case you see him through the eyes of the narrator, his friend. He was stood out from page one as being different. I couldn't help but feel sympathy for this character throughout the book. But he also made me laugh. The book takes you through his childhood so you do get that background. I also felt that this strange little character could actually exist. Lessa - Being a fan of fantasy I felt I should chose one character from there. Lessa pops into my head probably because she has a role to play in most of the Pern series. She is portrayed as a strong woman yet there is a soft side to her which she rarely admits to. The one thing that stands out the most for me is that this character has faults and lots of them. It is too easy to make a character perfect but life isn't like that and it is good to see that one of the good guys in a book has his/her bad points. Jo - Like Lessa Jo has her bad points but that isn't why this character stands out for me. She stands out because she reminds me of characters from books I read when I was little. This is probably why I went through a phase of reading the Chalet School books. She stands out more for nostalgia than the way she was written.

  4. Is there something more you would like the author to tell you about them? I won't go through each of the characters again. I can give the same answer for them all. No, there wasn't more about the character I wanted to know. There have been plenty of books where I have thought it would be nice to know more about this character. Off hand though I can't think of any.


Comments:
Owen Meany definitely is one of my fav characters, and John Irving my fav male writer.
Lessa is a strong woman, but I would have chosen Barbara Havers as my fav feminine character (Elizabeth George's my fav female writer). Barbara's not attractive, but very clever and humane. Along her books, E George develops her characters' lives, and they become so real... I have read all her books, and am eagerly waiting for the next one.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?