Thursday, May 25, 2006

 

More Bugs and Something New.



Thanks everyone for your lovely comments on bugs. At this point though finishing still seems a long way away. There is still the silver filling in the border, the shading inside the border and then the dreaded back stitch. I managed to get quite a bit more of the border done. More than what I thought I would have by now so there is a little hope that I will finish that part by the end of the week. Every time I got to pick it up I think 'God! Not this black again!'. But when I actually get to stitching I am mesmerised the way it contrasts with the white of the fabric. I agree though that Bugs is looking very dapper and the black border just seems to set it off. I must admit I am looking forward to seeing him finished myself.

There is something else though that might prevent me from keeping my goal for the week. I was looking through my craft books last night for a message I was posting on San's message board. One book I had forgotten all about was a beginners guide to Hardanger. A few years ago I was determined to give this ago and bought everything I needed to learn it. I never quite had the courage and so it lay forgotten about. However, in the last few months I have seen so many of you trying out these different types of stitches and I decided last night to give it a go. I am not working to any pattern. I'm just trying out lots of different stitches. I realise they aren't particularly neat but I am guessing that will improve as I learn (it also made me realise that I really need a new pair of scissors. I am going to keep going with this piece although I have no idea what to do with it in the end. It isn't neat enough to give away or even to frame for myself. I might just put it in my crafts journal.

Kim, this is weird I was discussing with a friend not that long ago why as a kid I though the Daleks were scarier than the cybermen. The Daleks are just so different and those voices too. So completely different and it scared me. Also their gun was a part of them. They were never without it. They were also alien and the first Doctor Who bad guy I remember watching. All of this helped to make them scary for me (that and my sister used to scare each other with our own stories). The cybermen came a close second but they had more recognisable human features. Although the whole turning people into cybermen creeps me out. I hope this helps.

Stewart, thanks to it being lost I've never saw Tenth Planet. I have ordered the audio book though and I am just waiting for it to arrive. If it is any good I might start collecting the lost ones that way.

Lili and Kim, the parts I know are though to be autobiographical are the wrestling and the fatherless main characters. I am sure there is more than that though. I remember on the programme that I watched on him that a brother he didn't know about found him. I think there is meant to be something of that in his latest. Kim how you felt about Fourth Hand is exactly how I felt about Cider House. I just couldn't get into the characters. None of them seemed particularly likeable. And Wilbur Larch really irritated me.


Comments:
Wow Karen you really are getting on with Bugs, can't wait to see him finished.

WEll done on your attempt of Hardanger. I hoping to learn when i go visit a friend of mine next week.

Hugs xxxxxxx
 
Bugs is going well! I can see why all that black would be intimidating, but stunning. :D

I never really related to Wilbur Larch's character either. It seems John Irving has a penchant for taking a person who is lost in life and giving them a mission. It's as if the only way they can make it through life is if they have a mission something they have to accomplish. I related much more with Homer, although his life in some ways mimicked Wilbur's. I found the theme of the book is what interested me most. Struggling with what is the right thing and the difficulty of finding your way through life. I came away feeling so sad for the characters,which is not how I felt at the end of Owen Meany. Owen's life had meaning and purpose even if it wasn't always easy to understand. John Irving has a way of making me think about things that I don't always want to and seeing them in a different
light.

Thanks for the info on the Daleks, I guess as a fan of Star Trek I am used to seeing weird non-human aliens. But then I didn't get to see Dr. Who as a kid either, it might've been a lot scarier back then. :)
 
What's frightening for me about both the Daleks and the Cybermen is their lack of humanity, that they aren't even remotely interested in who you are... you're reasons for being the way you are. They tap into a fundamental fear.

To put it into context, the Daleks were created only 18 years after the end of WWII, by someone who lived through it, and are an allegory for the oppressive nature of the invading tanks of Nazi Germany.

The thought of being killed by someone, or something, so heartless, be it fascists or their fictional representation, should be something completely abhorent, and alien, to the core values of mankind. Our ability for compassion is what sets us apart.
 
Tim's explanation makes it all clear, though I don't know those characters... but completely relate to the fear of such enemies. Yes, compassion definitely sets us apart.
Generally speaking, John Irving's characters are not likable, they live difficult things but Irving does not try to make you sad about it. They're not heroes, they don't know where they're going, and they have lots of defects. Besides, very often they don't seem to have a will of their own, which can make them irritating. I agree with Kim: Irving places you in front of things and enlightens some aspects of life in a different bothering way. And Irving is very good at showing that, although you don't know what you're doing there, it's worth it because in the end, you will have been useful. However, I invite you to watch The Cider House Rules, that was awarded an Oscar for the best novel adaptation, and Michael Caine as the Doctor was nominated I think. The film (by Lasse Halström, great great artist) makes the characters more likable, even if the main character, played by Tobey Maguire (Spiderman) is quite dull, like he is in the book. But I must say that I read it some ten years ago, while I saw the book about three years ago, so memory being what it is, in particular mine... lol!
Bugs is turning great, and though the colours may not be fun, it will definitely be a masterpiece!
My first try on hardanger was like yours: I mean that I wasn't very happy with it, but it wasn't bad! I think you've done a great job! It's fun to make speciality stitches, but in a sense, I am always happy to go back to simple cross stitch...
Lots of hugs!
 
lol! I saw the MOVIE three years ago, not the book...
 
Keep working on your hardanger, Karen! You did great on your first attempt and really good scissors make a difference, as does practice. :D
 
Your stitching is great.

Is "Beginner's Guide to Hardanger" the one with the Hardanger Sampler in it?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?