Thursday, June 01, 2006

 

Sampler Finished!


I finished the sampler I was working on. The stitches are untidy but I am pleased with the end result. I think I am pleased with it more for that fact that I put it together myself than anything else. I am encouraged to keep going though which means poor snowmen have been neglected. It's not that I don't want to stitch them it's just that the hardanger is calling out to me more.





This is the latest I am working on. The image isn't very good and it looks like an odd shape at the moment. The plan is to make this into a bookmark. I have no idea what the design in the centre is going to be yet. It is the edge which I wanted to work on. I will probably just use some cross stitch motifs for the centre. The fabric is pale yellow, although it is hard to see that, which is why I decided on the yellow thread. Outside the Kloster blocks I am using a button hole stitch which is supposed to allow you to trim the fabric around it without fraying. It's a new stitch for me and I am liking the way it looks.

I would just like to give a huge thanks to everyone for their comments on my cat design. It has encouraged me to try more of my own. Although my sister is now insisting that I make some for her as she plans to move into a new flat soon. Stitch, I was afraid to try out Hardanger too as I thought there was no chance I could do it through just reading a book. And now I am hooked. Give it a try. If you are worried about ruining fabric have a go on some scrap pieces.


I have been reading a few easy reads. I just finished "I Am A Dalek" by Gareth Roberts which is one of those quick reads. For those of you have never heard of a quick read it is a new series of books which are supposed to encourage adults to read. They are very slim, light and have slightly larger than normal print. Not that I need encouragement to read but it was a hard to walk by it. I also read one of the new format Doctor Who books "Stone Rose" by Jacqueline Rayner. It reads like a well written fanfic which I suppose most of these books are. I still enjoyed it though. There are no well known enemies in this one and no unknown planets. Instead Mickey comes across a statue of Rose. The Doctor and Rose then travel back in time to when it was made to find that there is more behind this statue than there seems. Again a nice light read.

Comments:
Your sampler is so pretty, love the colors! And the cat is so adorable, great job. :D
 
I've been looking forward to "I am a Dalek" too... probably because I've a pound token off any of the easy reads from one of the listing magazines!

My brother gave me one of the novels but I have to confess to not being a great consumer of written stories not based on a transmitted story.
 
I'm also looking forward to making those button hole stitches. Sandra Parlow is offering a lovely bookmark freebie on her site, and I think (not sure) that it uses these stitches. It's lovely!
And you're right to be satisfied: I'd be proud of myself if I could do such beautiful hardanger without even a chart!!!
Take care!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?